The Tesla Model X is a 7-seater electric car equipped with two engines, one on the front axle and the other on the rear, providing full wheel drive. Tesla Motors manufactures it in Fremont, California, USA, based on the Tesla Model S platform. The first deliveries to the US market were made in September 2015. By January 2016, Tesla delivered 584 units of Model X and global sales were 10,000 units in August 2016, with most of the departure in the USA. For September 2016, they totaled 15,950 units.
Tesla extends its range of SUV electric car with the Tesla Model X and confirms one of the most curious elements of the car and its identity: the spectacular rear doors that Tesla has called the “Falcon wing doors”. The sensors detect the approach of the driver and the car opens the doors so that he enters and then closes it without the driver touching it. Gull-type rear doors allow better accessibility to the third row of seats than the sliding doors of other vehicles. They have double hinged systems that allow them to be opened even if it is parked very close to other cars.
Tesla developed ultrasonic sensors that traverse the metal and installed them on the roof to detect ceiling height and side obstacles in order to trace the optimal opening arc without hitting any obstacles. It allows the opening when the side distance to the adjacent cars is more than 30.5 cm.
Model X has a length is 5004 mm, the width is 2083 mm. The original design did not have exterior mirrors as it replaced them with cameras for better aerodynamics. In its front part, the grill does not have openings for cooling, because being electric is not necessary.
Another of the most curious elements of the Tesla Model X is the chemical or biological protection button. The Tesla Model X is the world’s first car prepared for a chemical or biological attack, thanks to its gigantic air filter, up to 10 times greater than any other modern vehicle. This means that in normal conditions, in the cockpit of the Tesla Model X you will find a quality of air at the level of any hospital room. In the “biological attack” mode, this filter is capable of filtering bacteria 300 times better than conventional one, 500 times better allergens, 700 times environmental pollution and up to 800 times more efficient when filtering viruses.
The car has two LCD screens:
- Full digital primary screen3 inches (312 mm) LCD with 3D graphics that can be configured by the user. It can display speed, power consumption, charge level, range, and power on, music selection, radio selection, navigation map and others.
- 17-inch (430 mm) capacitive vertical sub-screen with a Linux-based operating system that, in addition to controlling multiple vehicle functions, provides internet connectivity via Wifi or mobile telephony. The screen has multimedia capabilities and is highly energy efficient. The top line displays current status symbols and provides shortcuts for Charge, Homelink, Dive Profiles, Vehicle information and Bluetooth. The second line gives access to applications such as Media, Navigation (by Google Maps), Energy, The Web, Camera, and Phone. The center of the screen can display up to 2 applications at a time. The lower part gives access to vehicle controls such as lights, door closing, and air conditioning.
The Tesla Model X can accommodate 7 people in 3 rows of seats. The second row of seats is mounted on a pole that allows each seat to be reclined individually and has space under the seats for placing objects. By pressing a button the second row moves forward to allow better access to the third row. When not used the third row can be folded leaving the ground flat. Tesla Model X is available with a 6-seater or 7-seater layout.
The aerodynamic coefficient of 0.24 was in 2015 the lowest among standard SUVs, being 20% lower than the next SUV with better aerodynamics. It has a rear spoiler that is deployed to optimize road efficiency and stability. Also, the Tesla Model X is the first electric vehicle approved to tow trailers. It is capable of hauling trailers up to 2268 kg (5000 lb). It also has as an option a stand to carry up to 4 bikes that can be installed in 10 seconds.
The Model X is equipped with two motors with a gearbox of a single speed each. One set on the front axle and one on the rear provide full wheel drive. The front engine is 262 hp (193 kW) and the rear engine is 262 hp in the 90D and 510 hp (375 kW) in the P90D.
Conventional all wheel drive cars distribute power to the wheels from one engine through a complex mechanical transmission system, while the Tesla Model X has no mechanical connection between the two engines. The Model X digitally and independently controls the torque to the front and rear wheels. The traction and response control in all kinds of conditions is unprecedented. The system can put one of the motors to rest to obtain a greater efficiency of the set.
The battery pack is flat and is under the car. It consists of thousands of lithium-ion batteries with a capacity of 90 kWh. It is liquid cooled to prevent overheating. The inverter works with the generative braking system. The electric motors are three-phase induction AC with the copper rotor and have 4 poles and electronically changing two of the phases of the motors the direction of rotation is reversed and it is achieved without using additional gears.
The Model X was designed to be one of the safest SUVs in the world. In the NHTSA crash tests, it got 5 starts. It also obtained among all the SUV the less deformation by lateral collision against a pole and the less propensity to the rollover. Standard comes equipped with Active Safety that is active all the time and provides:
- Front emergency braking. Using the radar and cameras you can stop the car to avoid colliding with the car ahead.
- Evasion of lateral collisions. Using the ultrasonic sensors the car can turn the steering wheel to try to avoid a side collision.
Since October 2014 all Tesla Model X is shipped with the hardware that will enable the functionality of the Autopilot System. It includes a front radar, 12 ultrasonic sensors that detect objects up to 488 cm around the car in all directions and speeds, a high precision front camera and a digitally controlled braking assistance system.
The system allows:
- Stay in a lane.
- Change lanes by activating the corresponding indicator.
- Manage speed by reading vertical speed limit signals.
- Maintain speed and distance with the vehicle ahead.
- Control of cruise speed dependent on traffic.
- Avoid frontal, side and road crash as much as possible.
- Reduce speed in the face of a possible range collision.
|Tesla Model X|
|EPA Autonomy||322 km||384 km||413 km||402 km|
|Maximum Power||524 CV||524 CV||524 CV||772 CV|
|Maximum Power (battery)||332 CV||332 CV||422 CV||540 CV|
|0 to 100 km/h||6,2 seconds||6,2 seconds||5 seconds||3,4 seconds|
|Maximum Speed||210 km/h||210 km/h||250 km/h||250 km/h|
|Power Storage||60 kWh||75 kWh||90 kWh||90 kWh|
|Battery Warranty||8 years||8 years||8 years||8 years|
|Production||Summer 2016||Summer 2016||Spring 2016||Autumn 2015|
- Black Obsidian.
- White Pearl.
- Gray Titanium.
- Silver Midnight.
- Silver Metallic.
- Deep Blue.
How To Buy
The prices are around from the US $110.268 to the US $190.458. In addition, you can buy a Model X in the official offices of Tesla in different countries or you can order it through the Tesla official website for avoid scam problems and contact directly with customer services for any inquiry.